Wednesday, October 15, 2008

8.2 Difference among Teams

Larson and LaFasto give us an interesting concept of differentiating teams when focusing on their objectives (p.229). They categorized them as being: problem resolution, creative and tactical. I recently had to work on our organization's Annual Report. I was brought into the team to provide the graphic design support. Initially I was given a very short timetable to complete the project. I objected to the restrictive timetable and suggested that it increase from 2 months to 4 or 6 months. They compromised on 4 months.

An Annual Report tells the story about the organization. Images and graphics help to make the statistics more palatable and the stories more interesting. For me this was a creative project through and through. According to Larson and LaFasto the creative team should have autonomy to create, rather than be closely supervised or required to adhere to restrictive guidelines.

Over the last few months I have experienced a lack of autonomy with the project and the focus seems to be shifting to a Problem Solving Team. In the last few weeks the comments have turned to “just get it done”. I must admit I wasn’t prepared to realize the change in focus.

1 comment:

CommBuzz said...

I think your situation illustrates the limitations of mapping theoretical constructs onto a grid. Organizations seldom fit neatly into a chart category, especially in light of the volitale fincial environment. I think this kind of "slippage" between job description expectations and actual expectations fall under the category of "job duties as assigned." I think employers often exploit this loophole to pre-empt employee complaints. It sounds like your managers are flexible and realistic - I have been in environments where even raising the question could have been grounds for "insubordibation." I think open communication by management is an important part of the organizational climate - which can give you an idea of how you will be treated as an employee.