Tuesday, October 21, 2008

9.2, Managing Conflict

After reading Chapter 10, Managing Conflict, p.290, I couldn't help but look back at an incident that happened to me last week. I've been working on the Annual Report for the organization (I'm making the final,final, changes this week). I received an email from a team member regarding an image that was used and how the Chief wanted it removed. In addition, I was told to have the report completed by 10/31 - "no questions asked." I fired off an email describing my issue with the arbitrary nature of the removal of images, among other things. Needless to say, I started quite a stir. Within 2 hours of my email I received phone calls from some of the email recipients (copied recipients) stating that it was an email that needed to be shared and that I was correct for demanding an audience to state my design philosophies. As a creative person on the project I felt that I needed to explain my ideas and the reasons for the selections of images.

What happened next was I experienced the, “Competition, forcing, or dominance” style of managing conflict. Although I have to admit I didn’t feel anyone was managing the conflict. I was told,” we don’t have time for a meeting with you and get the changes made, or else.” I have to agree with the Five Basic Styles for Conflict Management (Box 10.7) and the inappropriate use of style. In this case, I was denied the expression of my needs, and I will look to remove myself from working under those conditions in the future – otherwise I will surely have more disruptions.

No comments: