Sunday, October 26, 2008

9.5 Keys to Creative Ideas

I wrote this blog earlier in the day (Saturday, 11AM). I couldn't post it because it didn't fall into the 12 hour time frame. So I had to wait to make sure I adhered to the rules. Needless to say, I had a long night of work and "life" and I failed to post in time. I was going to forgo the posting to communicate my protest of the "letter of the law": turning the blog on time. But I decided to rise above that and that it was the learning process that mattered. I'm not going to document the circumstances for not posting the comments within the 12 hour period. I'll just post them here and move past the policy and gain the knowledge of "process". I don't know if the rest of you have experienced this uneasiness over the structure of the posting within a specific time period, but since we don't meet in class I can't gauge the issues by asking my neighbor in class. So, here is my post, I thought it stimulated some interesting thoughts regarding some experiences I've had in creating ideas. The post may not have been added to my grade, but it still came from the motivation to gain knowledge and participate...

After reading Box 11.8, Keys to Creative Ideas Generation, p. 335 I recalled the last two brainstorming sessions I facilitated at work. One involved a group where I was brought in to evaluate the direction of the recruiting campaign. The other involved the creation of a theme for the annual report. In the recruiting campaign scenario I was asked by the groups supervisor to come in evaluate the ideas that were being proposed. After sitting quietly for about an hour listening to the new ideas that were being brought forth, I had my turn at the floor and offered my praise for all of the work that had been presented. I then shifted gears and moved into “brainstorming” mode. I tried to connect to the affective domain and create some buy-in. Within a few minutes the room was buzzing with smiles, new ideas, and not so great ideas. I busy writing the ideas down on the white board.

I was striving for quality, jotting down whatever came through, improved on some ideas, and I offered no evaluation. In the end we came up with a new strategy and a slogan: “A Career of Opportunities”. From then on, we were the creative team with a mission and a mindset to promote the idea of a Career of Opportunities in all communications. The original meeting was a chance to display the ideas for Recruiting; the meeting ended as a brainstorm session for the new Recruiting Campaign!

No comments: