Wednesday, October 8, 2008

7.3 Interorganizational Relationships

After reading box 6.7, Some Types of Interorganizational Relationships (p.161) I was reminded of my time at the Cambrian Business Association. The new business association invited all of the businesses in the City’s District 9 (San Jose) area to be a part of this new group. I joined in late 2005 and after attending the first meeting I found myself voted in as president. I was asking some questions about the organization and when it came time to vote for a president--the room went silent. Someone turned to me and said, hey you asked some good questions – you should be president. I shook my head no and others joined in with smiles and cheered me on. Reluctantly I accepted and so I began my 20 months as president. The experience of being a leader of the local businesses taught me about the importance of communications and building relationships.

I immediately moved to solidify some communication staples: I designed the new logo for the association; appointed a group to create a mission, and created a speakers forum for businesses to exchange ideas. It was a great time!

1 comment:

Professor Cyborg said...

That must have been quite an exciting time. Bringing together a group of people with varied interests--even if they have some things in common--can prove challenging. Building relationships is key to effective organizational functioning. Communication scholars typically focus on internal communication, ignoring the importance of external communication, especially those in boundary-spanning positions. The COMM department is preparing to launch an undergraduate communication research conference in conjunction with 3 other universities--whose participation is all due to the ties that a few of us have across those four organizations.